URGENT: Students Without Status: Urge Congress to Support Rights of Undocumented Immigrant Students
DACA Webinar Congressional Contacts
- Congressman Don Bacon (R-NE-02)
- Represents the second district of Nebraska, including Omaha
- E-mail: https://bacon.house.gov/contact/email
- Twitter: @RepDonBacon
- Facebook: facebook.com/RepDonBacon
- Congressman Peter King (R-NY-02)
- Represents the second district of New York, including portions of Nassau and Suffolk counties
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Twitter: @RepPeterKing
- Facebook: facebook.com/reppeteking
- Congressman Joe Barton (R-TX-06)
- Represents the sixth district of Texas, including Fort Worth
- E-mail: Contact from https://joebarton.house.gov/contact/
- Twitter: @RepJoeBarton
- Facebook: facebook.com/RepJoeBarton
- Congressman Scott Taylor (R-VA-02)
- Represents the second district of Virginia, including Virginia Beach
- E-mail: Contact from https://taylor.house.gov/contact/email
- Twitter: @RepScottTaylor
- Facebook: facebook.com/RepScottTaylor
- Congressman Dan Newhouse (R-WA-04)
- Represents the fourth district of Washington, including Yakima and Okanogan and Douglas Counties
- E-mail: Contact from https://newhouse.house.gov/contact/email
- Twitter: @RepNewhouse
- Facebook: facebook.com/RepNewhouse
- Congressman Tom Rooney (R-FL-17)
- Represents the seventeenth district of Florida, including Okeechobee and Seebring
- E-mail: Contact from https://rooney.house.gov/contact
- Twitter: @TomRooney
- Facebook: facebook.com/reptomrooney
- Congressman Henry Cuellar (D-TX-28)
- Represents the twenty-eighth district of Texas, including the Rio Grande and suburbs of San Antonio
- E-mail: Contact from https://cuellar.house.gov/contact/sendmeanemail.htm
- Twitter: @RepCuellar
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/repcuellar
Carlos A. Guevara, Senior Policy Advisor, Office of Research, Advocacy, and Legislation, UnidosUS
Lindsay Dworkin, Director of Policy Development and State Government Relations, Alliance for Excellent Education
On June 7, 2018 the Alliance for Excellent Education and UnidosUS held a brief call-to-action webinar urging Congress to support the rights of undocumented immigrant students.
The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, better known as DACA, has been in peril since last fall when President Trump decided to cancel it. Recent court decisions have given some hope to the thousands of young people—also known as “Dreamers”—protected from deportation under DACA, but a legislative solution is required to give them the certainty they deserve.
Two Republican Congressmen, Carlos Curbelo of Florida and Jeff Denham of California, are leading an effort to force the U.S. House of Representatives to vote on solutions for DACA immigration and border security through a procedural move called a “discharge petition” that is rarely used. Essentially, if Curbelo and Denham can gather the signatures of 218 Representatives, they can force a vote on the House floor.
Three additional signatures (two Republicans, one Democrat) are required to force a vote to save DACA, and time is running out.
View the webinar to learn what’s happening on Capitol Hill, and how you can help provide undocumented students the protection the need and deserve.
Please direct questions concerning the webinar to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to watch the webinar live, an archived version will be available at https://all4ed.org/webinars 1–2 business days after the event airs.
The Alliance for Excellent Education (All4Ed) is a Washington, DC–based national policy, practice, and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that all students, particularly those underperforming and those traditionally underserved, graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship.
If you are interested in renting the Alliance’s facilities for your next meeting or webinar, please visit our facilities page to learn more.
Photo Courtesy of Allison Shelley/The Verbatim Agency for American Education: Images of Teachers and Students in Action.