Leveraging Data and the Cloud While Protecting Student Data Privacy
Thomas C. Murray, Director of Innovation for Future Ready Schools®, Alliance for Excellent Education (@thomascmurray)
Linnette Attai, Project Director for the Privacy Initiative and Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Program, Consortium of School Networking (CoSN), and President, PlayWell, LLC (@PlayWell_LLC)
Rachel Johnson, Director of Enterprise Solutions, Loudoun County Public Schools (VA)
Vince Scheivert, Assistant Superintendent of Digital Innovation, Loudoun County Public Schools (VA), and Future Ready Technology Strand Advisor, @vscheivert
On June 18, 2019 Future Ready Schools® held a webinar to developments in technology. Few things in education change as quickly as the technology that supports it. As districts continue to move toward the effective use of technology in the classroom, school leaders grapple with economies of scale; as well as how to maximize use of the cloud, data governance, and instructional opportunities, while minimizing risk.
In this webinar, Vince Scheivert, Rachel Johnson, and Linnette Attai discussed how school districts have used data and the cloud to innovate and optimize learning, while also providing data privacy for all. They also addressed:
- How districts are using data visualization and predictive analytics to support learning;
- How to implement next-generation safety and security tools to ensure a sustainable and robust system; and
- Best practices for protecting student data privacy in the cloud.
Additional Resources for Data Privacy:
- https://www.studentprivacymatters.org/ Download the parent guide to privacy.
- https://sdpc.a4l.org/ See the registry of applications, and the contract language for vendors for data privacy agreements
- https://trustedlearning.org/resources/ – Take the self-assessment and see where you can focus your time and energies to improve.
- https://www.cosn.org/ProtectingPrivacy – Download the Protecting Privacy Toolkit for guidance on the laws, vetting technologies, understanding privacy policies and more!
- https://www.cosn.org/cybersecurity – For tools you need to assess your security profile and get into action around improvements.
- https://ferpasherpa.org/ – Privacy resources for education agencies, educators, parents and students
- https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/ – Protecting Student Privacy from the US Department of Education – the source for guidance on the laws, with great training videos and related resources.
- https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000195/Centricity/domain/13712/2018%2019%20updates/VSPA-DPA-2019_SDPC%20Model_3-25-19rev41019.pdf – Data Privacy Agreement
- https://nces.ed.gov/forum/ – National Forum on Education Statistics
- Cosn – https://www.cosn.org/
- Future of Privacy Forum – https://fpf.org/
- Data Quality Campaign – https://dataqualitycampaign.org/
This webinar is made possible with the support of Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Registration information will be shared with AWS for marketing purposes. You may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions in the communications received.
Please direct questions concerning the webinar to email@example.com. If you are unable to watch the webinar live, please register to receive the video archive directly in your inbox.
Future Ready Schools® is a project of the Alliance for Excellent Education (All4Ed), a Washington, DC–based national policy, practice, and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that all students, particularly those underperforming and those traditionally underserved, graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship. www.FutureReady.org
Follow FRS on Twitter (twitter.com/FutureReady); Facebook (facebook.com/futurereadyschools); and the FRS Leadership Hub (futureready.org/hub).
If you are interested in renting the Alliance’s facilities for your next meeting or webinar, please visit our facilities page to learn more.