October 10, 2023 9:00 AM-3:00 PMLearn More
The Alliance for Excellent Education Invites You to Participate in a Webinar
A Whole–School Approach for Supporting English Language Learners
- Dr. Margarita Calderón, PhD, Professor Emerita, Johns Hopkins University, @calderonexc
- Deb Delisle, President and Chief Executive Officer, Alliance for Excellent Education, @DebDelisle (moderator)
- Giuliana Jahnsen Lewis, Dean, Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools
- Lisa Tartaglia, Reading Teacher, Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools
- Marina Barnette, EL Teacher, Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools
- Angela Brown, EL Teacher, Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools
It’s been sixty-five years since the Supreme Court’s decision in Brown vs. Board of Education, and many schools still struggle to support the diverse needs of students especially those whose native language is not English. As a part of the Alliance for Excellent Education’s ongoing #OurChallengeOurHope campaign, this webinar examines how educators meet the needs of English language learners (ELL). With innovative teaching practices, ample support, and engagement from the school administrators, schools can support students in the classroom and foster a collaborative approach between English as a second language (ESL) teachers and content–area teachers.
Dr. Margarita Calderón, PhD, is a professor, researcher, and expert voice around a whole–school approach for supporting ELL students. Her research-based approach ExC-ELL helps teachers develop the confidence and efficacy to teach core content knowledge and skills to ELLs and all students.
This webinar also will feature personal accounts from educators in Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools. The educators will share how they work with content area teachers to support ELL students across the curriculum and how they leverage the latest research and coaching techniques to support teachers.
The webinar guests will discuss the following questions:
- Why is ExC-ELL a multitiered model of professional development for the whole school?
- How do ESL and core–content teachers collaborate?
- How can administrators support a whole-school approach for ELL students?
- What does classroom instruction look like under a whole-school ELL model?
District leaders, instructional leaders and coaches, and teachers will not want to want to miss this opportunity to learn strategies for supporting ELL students across the curriculum.
Register for the webinar and submit questions for the panelists below.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a Washington, DC–based national policy and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that all students, particularly those historically underserved, graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship.
Follow the Alliance on Twitter (www.twitter.com/all4ed);
Facebook (www.facebook.com/all4ed); and
the Alliance’s “High School Soup” blog (www.all4ed.org/blog).
If you are interested in renting the Alliance’s facilities for your next meeting or webinar, please visit our facilities page to learn more.