Vol. 9 No. 11
June 01, 2009
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy And Progress: Volume 9, No. 11
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress is a biweekly newsletter that focuses on education news and events in Washington, DC and around the country. The format makes information on federal education policy accessible to everyone from elected officials and policymakers to parents and community leaders. Contributors include Jason Amos, editor, and Kate Bradley, copyeditor.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. For more information about the Alliance, visit here. To receive a free subscription to Straight A’s, visit here and add your name to our mailing list.
- EDUCATION SECRETARY OUTLINES OBAMA EDUCATION AGENDA: In Appearance Before House Committee, Duncan Stresses Reform Component of Stimulus Bill, Need to Improve High Schools
- A CRITICAL MISSION: SREB Report Urges States to Develop Comprehensive Adolescent Literacy Policies that Can Improve Reading and Writing in Secondary Schools
- STATE ACTIONS TO IMPROVE ADOLESCENT LITERACY: NASBE Report Says that Addressing the “Pervasive” Low Level of Adolescent Literacy Will Take a Concerted Statewide Policy and School Improvement Effort
- Report Examines Five (More) States’ Efforts to Improve Adolescent Literacy
- LOST OPPORTUNITY: New Report Finds that Minority and Low-Income Students Have Only Half the Opportunity to Learn in the Nation’s Public Schools as Their White Peers