Vol. 6 No. 4
February 21, 2006
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy And Progress: Volume 6, No. 4
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress is a biweekly newsletter that focuses on education news and events in Washington, DC and around the country. The format makes information on federal education policy accessible to everyone from elected officials and policymakers to parents and community leaders. Contributors include Jason Amos, editor, and Kate Bradley, copyeditor.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. For more information about the Alliance, visit here. To receive a free subscription to Straight A’s, visit here and add your name to our mailing list.
Correction: The February 7 issue of Straight A’s incorrectly reported that Academic Competitiveness and National SMART grants would receive $60 million in the president’s fiscal year 2007 budget request. The correct total is $850 million, which is an increase of $60 million over last year. The editor apologizes for any confusion this error may have caused.
- YEAR OF MATH AND SCIENCE?: Flurry of Congressional Hearings on Economic Competitiveness Focus on High Schools and Math and Science Instruction
- MCKEON APPOINTED CHAIR OF HOUSE EDUCATION AND THE WORKFORCE COMMITTEE
- MARYLAND LEGISLATION WOULD CODIFY GOVERNORS’ COMPACT ON HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATES: Alliance President Testifies in Support of Legislation
- HIGH SCHOOL CURRICULUM BEST PREDICTOR OF SUCCESS IN COLLEGE: Longitudinal Study Finds Reading Skills a Must for Accessing Challenging High School Material
- STATE OF THE STATE ADDRESSES: Rhode Island and Tennessee Governors Stress Education Reform as Central to Thriving Economies