Vol. 5 No. 14
July 18, 2005
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy And Progress: Volume 5, No. 14
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress is a biweekly newsletter that focuses on education news and events in Washington, DC and around the country. The format makes information on federal education policy accessible to everyone from elected officials and policymakers to parents and community leaders. Contributors include Jason Amos, editor, and Kate Bradley, copyeditor.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. For more information about the Alliance, visit here. To receive a free subscription to Straight A’s, visit here and add your name to our mailing list.
- SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE APPROVES $10 MILLION INCREASE FOR STRIVING READERS
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION TO CALCULATE NEW GRADUATION RATE: “Averaged Freshman Graduation Rate” Will Be Used to Compare State-Reported Rates Under NCLB
- GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION: New Report Finds Declining High School Graduation Rates in Southern States
- READING SCORES FLAT FOR SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLDS SINCE 1971: Long-Term Trend Assessment Shows Large Gains for Nine-Year-Olds Over Same Time Period
- KILL YOUR TELEVISION?: New Zealand Study Connects Excessive Television Viewing with Lower Levels of Educational Attainment