Vol. 4 No. 8
May 03, 2004
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy And Progress: Volume 4, No. 8
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress is a biweekly newsletter that focuses on education news and events in Washington, DC and around the country. The format makes information on federal education policy accessible to everyone from elected officials and policymakers to parents and community leaders. Contributors include Jason Amos, editor, and Kate Bradley, copyeditor.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. For more information about the Alliance, visit here. To receive a free subscription to Straight A’s, visit here and add your name to our mailing list.
- PREPARING, RECRUITING, AND RETAINING EDUCATION PROFESSIONALS: Senator Reed Proposes New $500 Million Bill to Improve Teacher and Principal Quality
- RAISING EXPECTATIONS FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: New California Legislation Would Require “College Prep” Courses for All Students
- TAX PLAN WOULD REAP MILLIONS FOR VIRGINIA SCHOOLS: Virginia House and Senate Negotiate Compromise on Tax Increase
- MAYORAL CONTROL A NO GO: Washington, D.C., Council Rejects Mayor’s Request for Management of City Schools
- SCHOOLS AS CENTERS OF COMMUNITY: KnowledgeWorks Begins National Search for Excellence
- ALLIANCE EVALUATES PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES’ PROPOSALS TO INCREASE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATES