Vol. 3 No. 3
February 17, 2003
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress: Volume 3, No. 3
Straight A’s: Public Education Policy and Progress is a biweekly newsletter that focuses on education news and events in Washington, DC and around the country. The format makes information on federal education policy accessible to everyone from elected officials and policymakers to parents and community leaders. Contributors include Jason Amos, editor, and Kate Bradley, copyeditor.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. For more information about the Alliance, visit hereTo receive a free subscription to Straight A’s, visit here and add your name to our mailing list.
- CONGRESS COMES TO AGREEMENT ON THIS YEAR’S EDUCATION BUDGET: $3 Billion Increase Falls Short of Promise Made in the No Child Left Behind Act
- BUSH BUDGET FOR FISCAL 2004 CUTS AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS BY 40 PERCENT: Education Advocates Criticize Cuts
- LEARNING FROM THE PAST: President’s Budget Includes Increases for History Programs
- SCHOOL DISTRICTS FEEL THE EFFECTS OF STATE BUDGET DEFICITS: Less Than Expected Federal Funding Exacerbates Squeeze
- MORE STATE OF THE STATE ADDRESSES: Newly Given Addresses, but Very Familiar Problems
- SILVER LINING OF AN OTHERWISE DARK CLOUD?: Teaching Field Experiences Rush of Applicants as Economic Downturn Continues