Federal Flash, Special Edition: ESSA’s support in implementing personalized learning
ESSA supports states and districts in implementing personalized learning, a student-centered approach designed to help all students develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities that will prepare them for college, a career, and life. Personalized learning emphasizes
(1) developing trusted and caring relationships between teachers and students;
(2) connecting learning to the real world;
(3) linking curriculum to students’ interests, strengths, and aspirations;
(4) providing students individually targeted instruction, practice, and support where they are struggling; and
(5) creating more flexible learning environments.
Personalized learning requires those working in schools to rethink the ways they teach and support students in their learning.