New Job Opening at the Alliance: Director of Development
April 06, 2011 05:52 pm
The director of development will be responsible for building and executing a comprehensive development plan, which ultimately sustains the organization and its mission. Immediate development efforts will focus on securing large commitments primarily from national foundations and corporations, and secondarily on individuals of significant capacity to fund general operations as well as priority policy initiatives at significant levels. Duties also involve senior administrative functions including assisting the board, reporting to the president, and coordinating with organizational staff. Direct oversight responsibilities include development forecasting, execution of fundraising plans, project management, systems and protocol implementation, supervision of a small staff, and representation of the Alliance in a senior capacity.
- Develop short term development plans to capitalize on as well as build increasing momentum to fund policy initiatives that lead the national discussion on secondary school education reform.
- Develop and implement all aspects of an aggressive, high-caliber fundraising operation, including research, cultivation, solicitation, engagement, stewardship, and other functions.
- Identify and engage new prospects and sources of income for the organization.
- Work closely with policy, advocacy, communications, and senior strategy teams to develop concept papers and proposals on new areas of work and new areas of interest for funders.
- Oversee development operations on day-to-day basis, meeting deadlines, preparing and filing grant reports, and establishing a solid department known for its ability to produce results.
- Improve organizational capacity by serving as an energetic department leader, an organizational advisor, and staff trainer to achieve a systematic and highly informed approach to fundraising.
- Establish close working relationship with board and president, including updating and communicating on a regular basis regarding fundraising progress. Assist as appropriate with organizational planning and enhancement.
- Create and implement short- and long-term action plans for major gifts, planned giving prospects, corporate and foundation giving, including research, identification, solicitation, cultivation and proposal development with a sustainable funder base, building institutional reputation and longevity.
- Act as the primary advisor to leadership in managing their respective fundraising portfolios.
- Experienced, strategic thinker with 7- 10 years experience in fundraising, preferably in education reform and/or policy related institutions.
- Intelligent, driven self-starter with a demonstrated track record of success in developing and executing on a long-term, multi-tiered strategy.
- Extremely detail- and process-oriented, able to develop and implement internal systems necessary to build capacity and organizational structure.
- Someone who enjoys, values, and has succeeded professionally in a highly collaborative environment.
- Necessary gravitas, poise and confidence to steward major donors, and knowledge of when to leverage the senior leadership’s time and energy.
- Instinct and ability to develop recommendations and strategy for individuals that are consistent with an overall development strategy.
- Strength to create and close substantial deals with donors in order to expand revenue streams and achieve a new level of fiscal success at $6 million+ annually.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Excel at writing clear and persuasive proposals, grant reports and communications with funders.
- Understanding of the national philanthropic community and federal education policy preferred.
- Experienced, enthusiastic, strategic thinker who embraces the mission and core operating principles of Alliance for Excellent Education.
- Superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely; listens as well as gives advice and respects the abilities of others.
- Articulate, polished and sophisticated individual who presents well and can interact comfortably with high-level individuals and groups; possess comfort level for interaction with persons of high wealth and intelligence.
- Strong analytical, organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent project management skills including influencing, leading, negotiating, and delegating abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines and maintain disciplined adherence to program goals.
- Must be a team player who welcomes collaborative decision making.
- Possess professional maturity, credibility, patience, good judgment, honesty, integrity, and trust; able to motivate others in a similar vein.
Questions, resumes, and CVs should be sent to email@example.com.
All first round interviews for the director of development will take place at Development Resources, inc. or via telephone/video conference at 1601 N. Kent Street, Suite 1200, Arlington, VA 22209, (703) 294-6684.
The Alliance for Excellent Education is being assisted in this recruitment by Development Resources, inc.. All resumes and questions should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
The Alliance engages employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, or any other characteristic covered by law.