Job Opening at the Alliance: Website and Video Production Manager
November 10, 2010 10:05 pm
The Alliance for Excellent Education (the Alliance) is currently seeking a website and video production manager to join its communications team and help increase the organization’s advocacy through technology. The successful candidate must be a self-motivated, innovative, flexible team player who will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment on varied and often changing activities that support the organization’s aggressive outreach to policymakers, partner organizations, the media, and other constituencies.
He or she should have a keen eye for design, be highly creative, and have the ability to multi-task and manage projects and daily responsibilities within a dynamic, highly collegial environment. This challenging position offers the opportunity to grow as a vital member of a successful and committed communications team while expanding and improving the capacity of a well-established, but evolving organization.
Broad job responsibilities include leading a website redesign in early- to mid-2011, performing daily maintenance and updates to the website, providing technical support for the organization’s in-house studio, and contributing content for the organization’s website, blog, and social media networks.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- In concert with the communications team, interview and work with outside consultant(s) to perform a redesign of the organization’s website for launch in early- to mid-2011
- Set, adjust, and maintain project schedules, including helping members of the leadership team prioritize projects and define the scope of projects; plan, manage, and implement projects from idea to launch
- Develop and implement strategies to increase traffic and engage visitors
- Collaborate with communications team and others to implement changes to design, layout, navigation, etc., to improve site usability, accessibility, and visibility
- Perform quality checks and content audits to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve typos, broken links, functionality errors, and poor user interface issues
- Develop engaging, timely, and relevant website content by staying current with Alliance audiences, initiatives, and campaigns to enhance the overall brand of the Alliance
- Collaborate with stakeholders and content producers to strategize, plan, write, edit, and manage content on the Alliance’s website, blog, and social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Ensure all web content adheres to communications/messaging guidelines (content strategy, messaging, tone, style, and editorial)
- Monitor daily news clips and online conversations for breaking news related to content area to leverage website content
- Collect, analyze, and report on web analytics to stakeholders
- Perform benchmarking and competitive analysis of other sites, social media channels, etc., that serve or impact Alliance audiences
- Research new technologies, techniques, industry trends, and best practices
- Integrate online advocacy into the organization’s overall strategic direction and web presence
Candidate will serve as the producer/lead tech support for the organization’s in-house studio. Responsibilities will include operating the soundboard, controlling video cameras, making video edits, and processing final video product for uploading to web and distribution.
Training will be provided if needed. At a minimum, the ideal candidate should have a strong interest in video production. The successful candidate will learn some fundamentals of field and post-production and must be willing to learn others including: proper microphone placement and audio level adjustment, camera settings, camera composition, and live camera switching as well as teleprompter setup and operation. Candidate will also be expected to learn the Wirecast encoding and editing program in addition to several Macintosh-based creative programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years of work experience in online and web management, including dynamic web content
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing project work plans and goals
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about the role of new media in achieving the organization’s goals while also remaining focused on the detail-oriented work and follow through required by the position
- Proven ability to work with vendors to produce web enhancements, troubleshoot and fix technical problems
- Excellent verbal and written communications, analytical, decisionmaking, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Resourceful and proactive problem solver
- Ability and desire to collaborate and work well with staff at all levels and in a team environment, and to work effectively in both a lead and support role
- Resourceful, reliable, and accountable with a strong work ethic
- Comfortable in a production- and deadline-driven environment
- Experience in editorial or creative positions
Strongly Desired Technical Skills:
- Past experience as a project manager or designer with a website redesign
- Writing, editing, and maintaining website content using a Content Management System, preferably Drupal
- Programming/scripting language, preferably PHP
- Databases, preferably MySQL
- Solid understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues as they relate to web content
- Functional understanding of web usability standards/best practices and graphic design
- Photoshop and optimization of graphics for the web
- Developing and documenting web content processes and style guides
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting on web analytics using Google Analytics or Urchin
- Planning and implementing training sessions
- Online marketing and advertising
- Social media tools and marketing
- Video and multimedia production
Position reports to: President of Organization, Director of Communications
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with salary requirements, a resume attached in MS Word or PDF format, a writing sample, and a cover letter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.