Deeper Learning Digest: #PBLWeek
June 17, 2013 02:14 pm
The Deeper Learning Digest is a regular feature that includes content related to Deeper Learning, project-based learning, the Common Core State Standards, and 21st century skills. Find out more about Deeper Learning at www.DeeperLearning4All.org
News and Views
- A new ‘Education Declaration’ for genuine school reform – The Washington Post
“A coalition of educators, researchers, parents, activists and elected officials issued what signees are calling an “Education Declaration” on Tuesday that lists seven key principles on which genuine school reform should be guided for the 21st century and starts from the premise that public education is “a public good.”
The document offers a progressive approach to school reform that includes ensuring that teachers are properly trained and respected, that opportunities to learn for all students are paramount and that learning must be “engaging and relevant.”
- In case you missed it, here are three op/eds on the Common Core State Standards from this week, two from USA Today, one from John Merrow:
Myths Fuel Attacks on ‘Common Core’ standards: Our view – USA Today
Include Parents in Standards Debate: Opposing View – USA Today
The Common Core and the End of the World – Taking Note
- My Top Three Policy Recommendations for Education Reform – Education Week
By Justin Reich
“I was recently asked for my top three recommendations for policy and “non-policy” strategies for improving education, particularly with an eye towards increasing equity and advancing deeper learning (the development of student competencies like ill-structured problem solving, communication, and new media literacy in the context of academic content learning).”
- Teacher-Led Professional Learning: The Latest Revolution In Education – edudemic
- Expeditionary Learning Launches Its First NYC Charter – Education Week
- Aspen Institute Launches Task Force on Learning and the Internet – PR Wire
Project Based Learning Week (#PBLWeek)
This week, the Buck Institute for Education introduces “#PBLWeek: A Celebration of the PBL Graduate.” From Monday (6.17.13) through Friday (6.21.13) join BIE and PBLers across the globe in answering an important Driving Question about students who have experiences PBL in their school: “What is remarkable about a PBL graduate?” Follow the PBL Week Pinterest Board and the #PBLWeek hashtag across a variety of social networks (Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+,Edmodo) to stay tuned to what is going on.
In that same vein, there will be a project based learning Twitter chat this Tuesday, June 18 at 8pm EST using the hash tag #PBLChat.
Because who doesn’t love a good infographic? Here are some that caught our attention this week and that might be helpful for your various networks.
- A Simple Guide To 4 Complex Learning Theories – edudemic
- 12 Principles Of Collaboration In Learning – TeachThought
- 3 Ways To Use Vine In The Project-Based Learning Classroom – TeachThought
- 27 Ways To Be A 21st Century Teacher – edudemic
Have a great weekend everyone!
Deeper Learning Digest