Reports to: CEO and President
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Minimum Salary: $180,000
Preferred Starting Date: September 2022
All4Ed is a national policy, practice, and advocacy organization based in Washington, DC, and working in states and school districts nationwide. All4Ed advances equitable policies and practices so all students, especially those from underserved communities—particularly students of color and those from low-income families—graduate high school prepared to complete postsecondary education and achieve success in a rapidly changing world.
For more than twenty years, All4Ed has provided a voice for the nation’s most vulnerable youth to ensure that all of them—regardless of background, race, ethnicity, learning or physical abilities, zip code, or family income—receive a high-quality education. In its early days, All4Ed focused on federal policies and reforms that enabled more students, particularly those of color and those from low-income families, to graduate from high school. As All4Ed matured, we extended our reach to support state policies focused on college and career readiness as well as district efforts to support the effective use of technology in education through our Future Ready Schools® (FRS) network of more than 3,500 school districts. We conduct policy analyses, advocate for equity-focused policies at all levels, and provide technical assistance to address the mismatch between student outcomes and workforce expectations. Today, All4Ed advances equity in education from the classroom to Congress.
Reporting to the CEO and President, All4Ed seeks a Vice President of Communications and Marketing to serve as an integral member of the executive team. This position requires a demonstrated commitment to equity and excellence for all young people and a respect for policies and practices to ensure all students, especially those historically underserved, have access and opportunities to thrive and be well prepared for education beyond high school.
In this position, primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing an integrated strategic communication and marketing plan to advance All4Ed’s brand identity; build support for its policy agenda, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the usage of its programs and participation in its events across key stakeholder audiences (education policymakers and practitioners outlined in the bullets below).
- Creating a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow All4Ed’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identifying challenges, opportunities, and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work collaboratively across the program areas and with all staff to recognize external communication opportunities.
- Designing new processes and implementing innovations to execute appropriate strategies to support the staff.
- Providing communication and marketing counsel to All4Ed’s leadership team and staff.
- Working closely with the Policy Development and Government Relations (PDGR) team to effectively engage the White House, federal departments and agencies, members of Congress, state legislators, state departments of education, state boards of education, governors’ offices, state legislators, civil rights organizations, and national, state, and local education organizations.
- Collaborating closely with the Future Ready Schools (FRS) team to effectively engage state departments of education, superintendents, district and school leaders, and other education organizations focused on effective digital deployment.
- Selecting and managing consultants affiliated with communications, marketing, and others as assigned.
- Assessing the organization’s needs in the areas of outreach, communications, and marketing and determining appropriate staffing including consultants and/or additional staff.
Work with staff and consultants to achieve the above as well as:
- Oversee development of All4Ed’s digital and print communications including, but not limited to, the annual report, marketing and fundraising products, and electronic communications including email campaigns, websites, webinar and podcast scripts, blog posts, and social media.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, newsletter articles, blog posts, and other written material to promote All4Ed and its mission.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact All4Ed.
- Prepare talking points, speeches, power point presentations, and other supporting material as requested.
- Support the production of All4Ed’s policy reports, grant proposals, and grant reports.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding All4Ed’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects related to communication and enhancing All4Ed’s brand.
Qualifications and Prior Demonstrated Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or marketing; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Experience in a management role either in-house or with a communications or marketing firm; experience in an education-focused non-profit organization is preferred.
- Growth-mindset and energetic work ethic; engagement in innovative practices to proactively influence the scope and impact of communications across an organization.
- Planning, writing, editing, and producing newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print and online communication tools.
- Skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online media.
- Leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Familiarity with and experience in education community, and ability to analyze current education landscape to identify challenges, needs, and to provide potential opportunities for All4Ed to pursue in response to the field’s needs.
- Creative and thoughtful in how emerging technologies and new media formats can be accessed and utilized effectively.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Effective and proven leadership skills including problem solving, self-reliance, collaboration, creativity, and flexibility.
All4Ed trusts and values our team to collaboratively produce excellent work, contribute to a positive and supportive work culture, and meet our mission. Considering the changing landscape of 21st century work environments, All4Ed recognizes that flexibility in work locations can maximize the diversity, strengths, and talents of our team. Therefore, while this is a Washington, DC- based position, there are opportunities for flexible and teleworking arrangements.
All4Ed embraces the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.