Reports to: Director of Federal Government Relations
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Minimum Salary: Policy Analyst: $60,000 | Senior Policy Analyst: $80,000
Preferred Starting Date: November 7, 2022
All4Ed is a national policy, practice, and advocacy organization based in Washington, DC, and working in states and school districts nationwide. All4Ed advances equitable policies and practices so all students, especially those from underserved communities—particularly students of color and those from low-income families—graduate high school prepared to complete postsecondary education and achieve success in a rapidly changing world.
For more than twenty years, All4Ed has provided a voice for the nation’s most vulnerable youth to ensure that all of them—regardless of background, race, ethnicity, learning or physical abilities, zip code, or family income—receive a high-quality education. In its early days, All4Ed focused on federal policies and reforms that enabled more students, particularly those of color and those from low-income families, to graduate from high school. As All4Ed matured, we extended our reach to support state policies focused on college and career readiness as well as district efforts to support the effective use of technology in education through our Future Ready Schools® (FRS) network of more than 3,500 school districts. We conduct policy analyses, advocate for equity-focused policies at all levels, and provide technical assistance to address the mismatch between student outcomes and workforce expectations. Today, All4Ed advances equity in education from the classroom to Congress.
Reporting to the director of federal government relations, All4Ed seeks a policy analyst or senior policy analyst to serve as an integral member of the Policy Development and Government Relations (PDGR) team. This position requires a demonstrated commitment to equity and excellence for all young people and a respect for policies and practices to ensure all students, especially those historically underserved, have access and opportunities to thrive and be well prepared for education beyond high school.
The successful candidate will bring and/or grow expertise in the policymaking process, as well as content expertise in one or more of All4Ed’s priority areas:
- College- and career- pathways and transitions from high school to postsecondary education and the workforce.
- Resource equity, including state and local education finance.
- Assessments, data, accountability, and school improvement.
- Education technology and the digital divide.
The seniority of the role will be based on the depth of the candidate’s professional experience.
In this position, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research on state and federal education policy issues, especially those aligned with All4Ed’s policy priorities.
- Identify, gather, and evaluate qualitative and quantitative data in support of All4Ed policy work.
- Analyze legislation, regulations, and other education policy documents to understand their content and implications.
- Gather and use evidence of effective programs to develop policy proposals and recommendations, including developing and drafting legislation and regulations.
- Translate research findings into compelling, understandable products (i.e., policy briefs, fact sheets, reports, and other written materials) for state and federal policymakers, education advocates and civil rights groups, the media, and the general public.
- Communicate complex policy and research findings to staff across All4Ed and work collaboratively with colleagues to advance federal and state policy goals.
- Develop and build relationships with experts and organizations in the education policy community, including our advocacy partners, staff at the U.S. Department of Education, Congressional offices, and state legislatures, governors, and education agencies.
- Represent All4Ed in coalitions and meetings, as appropriate, to support All4Ed’s state and federal policy agenda, including meetings with elected officials at the state and federal levels.
Qualifications and Prior Demonstrated Experience
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and excellence for all young people and the adults with whom they interact.
- Bachelor’s degree in areas of concentration that include knowledge of education policy, research methods, data analysis or other strengths required for the role.
- Experience in a professional setting, including internships, with policy analysis, research, and/or advocacy; education-specific roles and experience preferred.
- Knowledge of K-12 and/or higher education policy issues, particularly related to All4Ed’s priorities.
- Familiarity with and experience in the education community, and ability to analyze current education landscape to identify challenges and needs to inform All4Ed’s work.
- Strong qualitative research and data analysis skills.
- Experience using statistical software, analytic tools, and/or data visualization tools a plus.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills and an ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely for public audiences.
- Curiosity, eagerness, and the ability to develop new knowledge and skills.
- Ability and openness to proactively engage and support workplace dialogue about equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple projects and tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on multiple projects.
All4Ed trusts and values our team to collaboratively produce excellent work, contribute to a positive and supportive work culture, and meet our mission. Considering the changing landscape of 21st century work environments, All4Ed recognizes that flexibility in work locations can maximize the diversity, strengths, and talents of our team. Therefore, while this is a Washington, DC- based position, there are opportunities for flexible and teleworking arrangements.
All4Ed embraces the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.