Alliance publications synthesize research and information about promising practices to enlighten the national debate about education policies and encourage the development and implementation of federal and national policies that support effective high school reform and increased student achievement and attainment.
To order a hard copy of an Alliance publication, visit our publications order page.
Featured Report or Fact Sheet
Under current education law, states are responsible for setting the minimum number of students needed to form a student subgroup for federal reporting and accountability purposes. This required student subgroup size is commonly referred to as the state-set “n-size.”
This report recommends that states set their n-size as low as possible (ten or fewer students) to maximize the number of student subgroups created. This will ensure that states identify student subgroups with low academic performance and/or low high school graduation rates and provide targeted interventions to support the schools those students attend. Specifically, states should not require a subgroup to include more than ten students in order to include that subgroup for reporting and accountability purposes.
Read the press release.
Download a letter signed by the Alliance for Excellent Education and more than thirty civil rights, disability, and data-focused organizations urging the U.S. Department of Education to decrease its proposed n-size threshold from thirty to ten in the final Every Student Succeeds Act accountability regulations.
Download the n-size one page fact sheet. Ensuring Every Student Matters:What Is N-Size and Why Is It Important?
Reports & Fact Sheets:
- Every Student Succeeds Act Primer: Literacy
Fact Sheet, June 19, 2017
- Instructional Practices for Deeper Learning: Lessons for Educators
Report, May 19, 2017
- CTE Excellence and Equity Act (S.1004)
Fact Sheet, May 03, 2017
- Personalized Learning Is Maximizing Opportunity for Every Student
Report, April 24, 2017
- OECD Test for Schools: How Three School Systems Are Improving Student Achievement
Report, January 31, 2017
- Every Student Succeeds Act Primer: Accountability
Fact Sheet, December 19, 2016
- Recommendations for Non-Regulatory Guidance for the Every Student Succeeds Act
Fact Sheet, June 28, 2016
- Missing Middle—Federal Funding by Grade Span, Fiscal Year (FY) 2017
Fact Sheet, June 22, 2016
- Every Student Succeeds Act Primer: Teacher Preparation
Fact Sheet, June 09, 2016
- Every Student Succeeds Act Primer: American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian Students
Fact Sheet, June 09, 2016